Tax Scam Warnings:
- The IRS doesn't initiate contact with taxpayers by email, text messages or social media channels to request personal or financial information.
The IRS will never:
- Call to demand immediate payment, nor will the agency call about taxes owed without first having mailed you a bill.
- Demand that you pay taxes without giving you the opportunity to question or appeal the amount they say you owe.
- Require you to use a specific payment method for your taxes, such as a prepaid debit card.
- Ask for credit or debit card numbers over the phone.
- Threaten to bring in local police or other law-enforcement groups to have you arrested for not paying.
If you think you may owe tax, call the IRS directly at 800-824-1040.
For more information, visit https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/tax-scams-consumer-alerts